Kensington & Chelsea and Westminster Memory Service offers out-reach services across Westminster, providing improved treatment and specialist doctors to recognise the early signs of dementia. The key to improving the lives of people with dementia and their families is to detect memory loss in its early stages, ensuring effective and early support and access to treatment as well as a vast range of information about their
What is the service?
Kensington & Chelsea and Westminster Memory Service is a specialist service for people experiencing memory difficulties.
Who is the service for?
- Residents of Kensington & Chelsea and the City of Westminster
- People with concerns about their memory
- People with memory difficulties/dementia who would benefit from the interventions offered.
Who makes up the Kensington & Chelsea and Westminster Memory Service team?
- Occupational therapist
- Nurse specialist
- Social worker
- Dementia Advisor
- Admiral Nurse.
Why might I need to use it?
It's for people who may be finding it difficult to remember things day-to-day, for example you may be:
- Starting to forget dates and appointments
- Getting in a muddle with your finances, paying bills etc
- Finding that you are losing things around the house
- Finding it harder to remember names
- Having difficulties following conversations.
The service also works closely with family carers providing support and advice, information and education on memory problems and dementia. This is both practical in nature and supportive to help you deal with your feelings and emotions.
What does the service offer?
- Strategies to help you manage your memory day-to day
- Equipment that can help you manage safely at home
- Counselling to talk about your worries, concerns and feelings
- Groups where you can meet other people in a similar situation and can share tips and ideas with you
- Some people may benefit from medication which we can prescribe
- Information, advice and guidance that can help you now or in the future.
How do I arrange an assessment?
Contact your GP and ask to be referred to the Westminster Memory Service. Your GP may want to take a blood test at this point to rule out other health concerns.
Or you can contact the service directly for general advice.
Housing 21 have produced a booklet - Living Well With Dementia - which is aimed at Westminster residents. It includes information on what dementia is, living well
with it, care services and support available and a list of useful contacts.
Click on the pdf below to see a copy of the booklet.
Living Well with Dementia (1.51 mb)
42 Westbourne Park Road, London, W2 5PH