Open Age, established in 1993, is a user-led charity working across Kensington, Chelsea and Westminster to enable older people, from 50 to over 100 years old to sustain their physical and mental fitness, maintain an active lifestyle and develop new and stimulating interests.
The organisation provides a wide range of physical, creative and mentally stimulating activities and classes, to enable older people to develop new skills and fulfill their potential.
These encourage and support social interaction and reduce loneliness, isolation and depression.
Open Age has special programmes that include
- 'Time for Me' - support and activities especially for unpaid carers to look after friends or family
- Link-up - this supports those who need extra help to attend activies for the first time
- New Futures 50 Plus, which supports unemployed people over 50 into employment or training
- There is also a 'drop in' information service available at all of our centres
Over 200 weekly activities are provided from more than 50 sites, which include 3 hubs in Westminster and our own positive Age Centre in North Kensington as well as community centres, sheltered housing, church halls and libraries.
Open Age also leads on the consortium that runs the New Horizons Centre on the Guinness Estate in Chelsea. Activities vary from those that are health and fitness related such as yoga, chair exercise and walking groups, to creative and performing arts sessions and weekly groups with speakers.
The organisation provides daily computer classes and drop in computer sessions from a dedicated fully accessible computer room, as well as from other venues across the boroughs of Westminster and Kensington and Chelsea. A weekly outings group visits attractions in and around London.
- Share a Book group. Thursdays 3pm to 4pm at the Amberley Club Room. They read short stories, novels, plays and poems aloud, breaking frequently for people to express their thoughts and responses.
* No need to read a book in advance
* No pressure to read aloud or to join in the discussion
* You decide how much you participate
Membershop is free and activity fees are around £1 an hour payable at the activity.
For further information and current programmes contact Open Age main office on 020 8964 1900, or you can visit their website
St Charles Centre for Health and Wellbeing, Exmoor Street, London, W10 6DX