About the service
SHP Westminster Support provides a specialist housing-related support service to people throughout Westminster who have a range of mental health problems and live in a variety of housing conditions across the borough. They help people to manage their tenancies and keep their homes, and they provide a range of other services that promote independence, well-being and choice. Staff members operate an Open Door service at their office at 23-33 Strutton Ground.
They provide support and advice for people living in their own independent accommodation. They cover a range of issues including housing difficulties (such as rent arrears or neighbour disputes) as well as crisis intervention for people under threat of eviction.
They also provide support and advice for people who have been placed in temporary accommodation by Westminster’s Housing Options Service. They support people to bid or secure private rented accommodation, and create a move-on plan with clients and others involved in their care.
They provide long-term support to people living in independent accommodation provided by several housing associations.
Resettlement and Practical Support
This short-term service provides practical support to people who are moving home, usually from temporary to permanent accommodation. It includes helping people with practical tasks such as assembling furniture, minor decoration works and other ‘handyperson’ activities. They support people to apply for Community Care Grants or other types of funding, as well as helping with the set-up of utilities and other domestic accounts.
- Providing advice and assistance with managing rent arrears, threat of eviction and accessing legal advice
- Promoting independence through enhancing living skills, cleaning, cooking and budgeting
- Liaising with housing providers, landlords and Housing Benefit departments.
- Developing positive neighbourhood relationships,
helping to reduce antisocial behaviour issues.
- Providing practical support, including decoration, handyperson jobs and shopping
- Promoting health and well-being, dignity, respect and social inclusion
- Maximising income, through benefits advice and supporting applications for grants and loans
- Advocating for clients - liaising with other professionals involved, working in partnership with community mental health teams (CMHTs) and housing assessment services
- Supporting access to education, employment,
training and volunteering, including group work and activities programmes
- Support planning, providing allocated key workers, drop-ins and community surgeries
This service is for anyone living in Westminster who is
- Aged 18 or above
- Assessed as having a severe and enduring
- Either allocated to a CMHT or accepted by Housing Options as being homeless and mentally vulnerable.
They accept referrals from CMHTs and other specialist housing and mental health services. Assessments will be joint where possible. If you are unsure as to whether the service is suitable, please contact them. They are always happy to discuss any potential referrals and indicate whether they can offer a service or suggest alternatives.
If you want to find out more you can visit their website at www.shp.org.uk/Westminstersupport
245 Gray's Inn Road, London, WC1X 8QY